Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Ring



I still remember the day I lost my Cub Scout "Wolf" ring, more than sixty five years ago. It's one of the few things that I remember from that time.

I had wanted a Wolf ring badly and my parents gave me one on my birthday. It was a silver color and had a sculptured wolf’s head. I loved it.

I lost the ring only a few minutes after I received it, while I was playing in our backyard during my birthday party. I don't remember whether I was wearing it or had it in my pocket when I lost it. All I remember is looking for it in the grass where we had been playing - and feeling a deep sense of loss.

I searched and searched, but couldn’t find it. I thought that I would have seen it in the grass - I wondered whether one of my friends had found it and kept it. I still wonder.

My parents did not give me another Wolf ring, and I never had one again.

No comments: