Thursday, July 04, 2019

My car story

We live in a condo facing a canal that connects directly to the ocean. The garage is at ground level and there are apartments for three levels above that. We are at the bottom of a mild hill.

A couple of years ago, it rained heavily for a few days. Then one night at about 2 am, we heard people outside our apartment and went out to look. The entire street was flooded – it was a river running down the street through our condo’s property and into the canal. The garage was about two feet deep in water. One of our two BMWs was in the garage. The other was in the driveway. We tried to move them, but the water was too deep. Both cars flooded.

Our insurance company totaled both cars and paid us fair value (it really was fair value) less our deductible for each car of $1,000. We then bought two new BMWs. Fast forward to May 2019.

It is late in the afternoon and there has been a heavy rain. Our street is filling up with water and it looks like it may begin to flood our garage. Magali’s BMW Z4 and My BMW M4 are parked in our garage. I decide it is time to try to make it out before our garage floods. We almost make it to safety before both cars stall. Wading back through the flooded street, we find that our garage has water, but not that much. Our cars would have been ok if we had left them in the garage.

The engines of both of our cars have ingested water. Our insurance company totals Magali’s Z4 and decides to replace the engine and associated components of my M4. Magali gets a check for fair value less our $1000 deductible. Our insurance company pays a bit over $40,000 to repair my M4 and I pay the deductible of $1,000. It takes about a month to repair my M4, and our insurance company pays $40 per day for a rental car at Enterprise Car Rental.

Enterprise does not have a $40 per day car when I get there, but gives me a Jaguar F Pace, a really nice SUV for $40 per day.

About a week into the car rental, I am driving along and end up stopped in traffic. A lady in an SUV behind me fails to stop and rear ends the rental. Magali suggests calling the police, which turns out to be a great idea – since the police cite the other driver and her insurance is now supposed to pay my $1000 deductible on this collision (we are waiting to see about that).

I get my M4 back and it is like having a new car – new engine, turbos, software, etc. I drive it home and park it in my garage. Next morning, the M4’s rear end is slightly damaged and there is an engine light on. Someone has rear ended it in the middle of the night. Another $1,000 deductible payment.

We are contemplating becoming a one car family.

Throughout all this, the insurance company has provided great service and fair treatment. Guess the insurance company’s name – I will provide it in a later post.

No comments: