Saturday, July 29, 2023

An experience with AI

 Here is my most recent experience with AI.

I subscribe to Xfinity's gigabite Wifi service. I have an Xfinity router (XB7, next to the most recent).

My iPhone and iPad show a download speed on my wifi network of 600mbs to 700mbs - about what it should be. This suggests that the Xfinity signal into my apartment is ok and that the router can provide the speed it is supposed to and that it is doing so to my Apple devices.

BUT my computer usually shows a download speed of about 100mbs, way too low.

When I reboot my router, my computer (less than a year old) it often shows a download speed of about 600-700mbs, but after awhile it drops to about 100mbs.

When I sign on to my son's Xfinity router (XB6), my computer always shows a download speed of about 400mbs, and that is through 4 inches of reinforced concrete.

So, the question is: where is the problem?

Naturally, I called the Comcast customer service number. Naturally, I was answered by an automated message system (AMS). I asked for an agent. The AMS recommended the Xfinity virtual assistant (VA) and said that if it could not help me it would connect me to an agent. So, I said ok.

The VA offered to check my router. I said ok.

The VA then went through a variety of checks with interactions of the following form.

I found a problem <stated the problem>. Do want me to fix it? I always answered  yes.

Following the fixing of all the problems, I had no internet connection.

END OF AI PART OF STORY

I called Xfinity again and chose to wait for an agent. The agent quickly got the internet connection back, but the low speed to my computer remained.

What do you think might be the problem?

What would you try at this point?

I scheduled an appointment for an onsite technician. When he arrived, he found the obvious - the router was putting out the proper wifi speed signal. He concluded that there was nothing wrong at the Xfinity end (can you see the logical fallacy in this conclusion?). I pointed out that my computer worked fine with my son's router and showed him my son's router. He said that it was the same as mine (it was an XB6, not an XB7). I aked him to swap out my router for a new one. He only had an XB6 in his truck and said that he was not authorized to do the swap.

I called Xfinity and connected with a knowledgeable person. She said that, since I was renting the router, I was entitled to swap it for a new one for any reason whatever. She recommended either a new XB7 or the latest XB8 router. She said not to get an XB6 because that provided only about 400mbs capability, less than I was paying for.

I swapped my XB7 for an XB8 at an Xfinity store, came home and installed it. I used the Xfinity app to activate it. BINGO - 600-1200mbs.

Later in the day - BINGO - 100mbs speed.

I rebooted the XB8 and speed was back to 600-1200mbs. It stayed there for the rest of the day and a good part of the next day - then back to 100mbs.

What do you think might be the problem?

I opened Device Manager and searched for wifi devices. Found a Killer wifi device. I started looking for device settings for the Killer. I found a maximum speed setting. It was set to 1.0gbs. It struck me that the Xfinity speed sometimes exceeded this. I reset the Killer maximum speed to 2.5gbs, restarted the router, and was back to the 600-1200mbs speed on my computer.

If the speed setting is the problem, it explains why there is no speed problem when connected to my son's XB6 - that router can only provide a speed of less than the 1.0gbs maximum speed the Killer was set for.

It has been a day and a half now with no speed drop. We shall see.

No comments: